Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Where Were You When It Hit?

I'm not talking about the meltdown of Floyd Landis in the Tour de France. I'm talking about the first huge thunderstorm of the day. They had predicted a 70% chance of rain, with scattered severe storms. The reality was worse than most of us expected.

The day started off with a steep climb out of Mankato. I took this picture of a farm implement dealership at sunrise.


Next came a rather unnecessary detour onto a gravel road that was very unpleasant for me, having no weight on my front wheel to give traction. It lasted about 3 miles, and pretty much messed up my whole camera mount. I had mounted my "new" camera (courtesy of my mother)and was once again taking sequential road pictures. Once back on pavement, I stopped and fixed everything. I was now at the back of the pack. I began catching up to those ahead of me, and ended up riding for awhile with Sarah. We pulled into the first SAG by a lake.



As you can see, the picture is rather gloomy. This is no illusion. The first signs of the impending storm were approaching. I headed out of the SAG with Larry (recumbent) hoping to get to the next town ahead of the storm (Ha!) We had just completed a Mach 1 recumbent fly-by of Dan and Bill when the dark band of clouds that had been on the horizon came over us so rapidly we barely had time to find shelter. Ahead of us, Don, Ted, and his son Steven had found the same farm we were headed for, and had asked the farmer if we could take shelter in his barn. He said no, he was afraid we might smoke. His wife eventually talked him into allowing us to go into his smaller barn. We did not smoke.

The storm hit with full force just as we rushed for cover. These pictures are accurate as to the color and darkness of what was about to hit us.




We had a good time once we were safe under cover. Also there were Sara and Chuck, who had been ahead of us and turned back. Barn census: Jim, Larry, Don, Steven, Ted, Chuck, and Sara. Soon, we had two more, as Dan and Bill found their way to the barn as well.


Here is our cozy group waiting out Round 1


We waited about an hour for the storm to subside enough to let us continue. Finally, we thought it was OK, so we headed out. We had only gone about a half mile when we saw what I can only describe as "The Doomsday Bolt". I saw branches out to each side within the cloud, and 3 separate bolts straight down to the ground in the direction we were headed. I pulled a very fast U-turn and headed back with the others to another farm we had spotted. I knocked on the door of the house, startling the housewife inside. Her husband then came to the other door, and we expleined our plight. The husband, Lonnie, invited us into his house, but we suggested that the garage would be more appropriate. He cheerfully opened the garage door, lit up a cigarette, and began to show us why he was such a good host. First he brought some bottled water for us, then he went back and brought in a baby chinchilla. He and his wife raise them to sell as pets. Here is a picture of an adult chinchilla he brought next.

Then came the puppies (pictures came out blurred) Here is our group in the garage, and folding chairs that Lonnie brought out for us.

, fashioned a garbage bag poncho.
Chuck, missing his rain jacket

The rest of the day was a seemingly endless progression of ride..rain..lightning..shelter..rain..ride..lightning..shelter, etc. I made it in at about 4:15, my longest day of the tour time-wise. Everyone had their own stories to tell at dinner/route rap. See other blogs for other accounts.

They say tomorrow should be sunny and pleasant, with favorable winds. We shall see.

No comments: