Saturday, July 22, 2006

Easy Ride to the Bottom of the Lake

Note: keep checking old posts for follow-ups. Our internet access has been horrendous, and I can only add when it cooperates.

Today was an easy 84 mile ride to Fond du Lac, which I have been told means “bottom of the Lake” I am sure that my Francophonic relatives will supply any necessary corrections. Tomorrow we head for our last destination in Wisconsin, which has been a quite pleasant state to ride through. We are looking forward to catching the ferry to Michigan on Monday. We will finally be in Eastern Time zone at that point!

The big news today was that Ilkka’s daughter had her baby today, making Ilkka a 2nd time grandfather. I wrote congratulatory messages on the road with chalk for him to see as he rode along.

Many riders had trouble staying on the route today, making wrong turns that had them riding in some cases over 100 miles instead of 84. I found my GPS to be quite handy at keeping me on course, finding detours around construction, and also discovered hat it can help guide us to Dairy Queens. Too bad it can’t help find pie. I have pretty much given up on my quest. I haven’t been able to find a piece of decent pie since South Dakota. Minnesota basically was a bust. The roads absolutely suck, there are no small restaurants along the roads, and the drivers were quite rude. Wisconsin was much nicer, although there are a lot of un-leashed dogs..

Riding Scenes:
Road construction

Today's terrain
Riding through a typical small town

Recumbent Larry had experienced a broken seat mount, and the bike company sent him a new frame to get his titanium recumbent bike back on the road. Here he is heading out.


I am having a terrible time getting online at the motels. Most of them have wireless networks, but don’t know how to make them work. This is the third try at tonight’s posting. It has eaten the other two, and I am getting tired.

No comments: