Saturday, July 08, 2006

On The Road Again!

Last night after I had gone to bed, there was a fireworks display at the minor league ball park just behind the motel. I woke up and took a couple pix before trying to get back to sleep.




We had another early start after our rest day Friday. Today's ride was 106 miles to the small crossroads town of Lusk, Wyoming. Lusk seems to be known primarily as the home of "The Legend of Rawhide", which just happens to be taking place tonight.

Today was a matter of "same ole, same ole" Same scenery, same gentle grades, same lack of places to eat. I did manage to set another personal best or a century ride. At 100 miles, I beat my old time by 15 seconds. I'll take it. I now have done 3 century rides faster than the goal I had set of 6 hours. I have also done this while riding from the back to the front, which allows me to have a relaxing early ride while visiting with all of the interesting riders on the tour, and then crank up the speed by the second SAG stop, finishing as usual with Ilkka and Kent. No matter how we shake it up, we tend to always come out of the mix together.

One landmark seen today was the second sign for Wall Drug that I have noticed so far. I understand that they will become more numerous as we get closer to Wall.


Here is a picture of Ilkka, Kent, and myself at the second SAG stop.


We also passed through a ghost town, just listing a name and altitude, and this one, with a population of one. We made it three.

At one point I was riding with "recumbent Mike" and we went past this drag race track where cars were competing. There were a wide variety of cars, from stock appearing to fully tricked out. Here is a really good-sounding Mustang.

This seems to represent the main industry of the area.

The rest of the scenery looked pretty much lilke this.

We arrived in Lusk at about 1:30. We ate lunch and got back in time to see another great little small-town parade. This one was part of the "Legend of Rawhide" event happening today. At one point the Indians on horses charged through the crowd, rather quickly, I might add. One horse put its hoof down just inches from my foot. My ride flashed before my eyes, so to speak.




No comments: