Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Good Day in Minnesota, You Betcha!

5:15 The alarm goes off, but we are already awake thanks to Ilkka's internal alarm that flawlessly wakes him 5 minutes before the motel clock.

5:20 I am packing all my electronic gear and waiting for my turn in the bathroom

5:30 Take care of various things in the bathroom. Some would be too graphic for this blog. I also fill my water bottles from the faucet. We don't use the coolers from the SAG vehicles for water until the first SAG stop.

5:35 I have packed my bags and taken them out to the truck for loading. It is not yet ready for loading.

5:40 Get my bike from Larry's room. He is my new recumbent brother. He let me store the bike there since our room was too small.

5:45 Get in line to load my bags onto the truck. Load bags, initial the checkout sheet, add Gatorade to one water bottle. Pump air into rear tire. Only needs 5 pounds more.

5:50 Head down the road to breakfast at Country Kitchen. Arrive to see lots of bikes decorating the exterior. It looks good.


5:55 Wait in line while cooks finish setting up the breakfast buffet.



6:40 Head out and begin the ride.

6:40 to 8:20 Ride, take pictures of the scenery.




7:11 Spot a cropduster plane spraying a field. Take pictures.



8:20 Arrive at SAG #1 Sign in, wash hands, eat snacks, take a picture. This was the largest group I have seen at a SAG at one time.



8:25. Head out from SAG. I don't like to hang around too long or my muscles stiffen. I ride for awhile alone, then spot the wolfpack rapidly getting larger in my mirror. I see that they are being led by the tandem of Daun and Bill. They must be moving at about 22 mph. They pass me, and I hook onto their draft. We ride quickly for quite a few miles.



9:25 Most of the wolfpack wants to keep going north where we are supposed to turn east. I make the turn, and honk to let them know to turn. I increase speed, and they fall behind.

10:14 Arrive in town of St. James. I find a stretch of road covered by loose gravel. I find out how loose by doing a 2 wheel slide at 20 mph. I stay upright fortunately. I call the road conditions in to staffer Michelle. The next SAG is just around the corner, so I head there after slowing down the arriving tandem of Lil and Ray, and the rest of the pack.

10:20 Short break at the SAG. Head out with pack. Find a rider looking a lot like Kent, who should have just been pulling into SAG. It is Kent, who missed the SAG.

11:30 Run into paving operations. Call Michelle to report alternate route, and tell them that we know where Kent is. Resume ride, now with Kent. The pack is long gone.

12:15 Stop in town of Lake Crystal. Objective: DQ for lunch. The pack is eating here also.

12:45 Have resumed ride. Pass scenic lake. One house has this float plane in the yard.



1:45 Arrive at Holiday Inn in Mankato

2:00 Head for jacuzzi and pool for relaxation

2:30 Call home, let them know I got in fine, and that my replacement camera has arrived. . . finally. I ordered it Friday a week ago, and have missed photographing two states because of the delay.

3:00 Head for the post office to mail a package home with extra stuff I don't want to carry anymore.

5:30 Route rap. Discuss the route for the next day. Is there really a cliff at mile 85?

5:45 Load van for trip to Old Country Buffet for dinner.

6:00 Eat, and eat some more

7:00 head back to hotel so I can finish this blog.


No comments: