Thursday, July 27, 2006

Michigan, We're Outta Here!

Hooray, we are done with Michigan. I guess the endless cornfields are better than the endless scrub of South Dakota, but I miss the mountains. I am just not comfortable on flat land. As I am writing this, a severe thunderstorm is moving in, and I am glad that I didn't have to ride in it today.

The day started muggy and warm. Just like back home. It reminds me of my ulterior motive for the trip, escaping the Richmond heat. I guess I didn't choose well on that one.

Here is my bike in its parking place, the end of the hall at the Comfort Inn in Birch Run. We often use the halls as parking, since the rooms are not always big enough for the bikes and three of us.


The obligatory sunrise photo


As I ride, this is what I see from my seat.

I decided today to do a scenery theme. I had noticed the huge number of fallen (or falling down) barns. After seeing the neat, tidy farms of Minnesota and Wisconsin, I noticed right away that the way most Michigan farmers deal with fallen buildings is to let them stay there and hope they eventually erode into the ground. A few of these have just about made it. Others need more aging. Very sloppy to say the least.





Tomorrow we leave Michigan and cross the bridge into Ontario. I am looking forward to being back in the area where I first started my bike touring in 1972. In that trip, our group from OutSpokin', a Mennonite youth biking venture, set out from Kitchener bound for Harrisonburg VA by way of Ottowa. We ended up encountering Hurricane Agnes along the way in New York, and we will be retracing some of that journey. Hopefully this time there will be no tropical weather.

1 comment:

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

My husband John's guess, re. composting old barns, is that it is a tax issue. He says that in some states you get a tax deduction for buildings--any building, regardless of whether it has any utility. Why spend money to get rid of a perfectly good tax credit?