Sunday, July 30, 2006

Niagara Bound!

It was somewhat cooler this morning when we headed up the road to the same restaurant that had given us such poor service last night. Breakfast was quite deliscious and quick. I was on the road with 2 pieces of French toast, two pancakes, and a good scoop of hash browns on board.

The light had a really nice quality for my standard morning shot.



I liked the layout of this farm, with the house and barn on raised "islands" above the rather flat terrain.



Tobacco fields gave way to sod farms, some of which had neatly mown grass as ar as you could see. I approve of the change. Other farms, especially on yesterday's route had switched from tobacco to ginseng as a big-money crop.



At one point today, the pavement ran out and we ended up on a dirt road for about 2km. We had been briefed about this at route rap, but when you are riding road tires, you never like to see the end of the pavement. The dirt ended on a very steep downhill stretch, stop sign at the bottom. As my dad would say, "What a waste of good energy!"



Niagara Falls was soon in our sights, and we headed for the Canadian side, with its views of Horseshoe Falls. I took this picture of the American Falls first.



Here are the other requisite pictures showing myself, and my travel companions Kent and Ilkka.


Here Kent tempts fate by trying to eat my lunch while I am carrying out my important documentation.


After lunch at the Falls, I headed over the Rainbow Bridge, through US Customs, and got my picture entering New York. I couldn't find a "Welcome to the USA" sign anywhere. I will investigate tomorrow.


Dinner was at Denny's, and then Dan and I walked over to the US side of he falls and got some more pix that I will put up tomorrow. Now for a great day off!

No comments: