Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Last of the Century Days

Happy Birthday Eric!!!

Whoopie! Today was the last of our rides of 100 miles or more. I put in a good 115 miles, and would have had a great time of it had it not been for the rain. When I went down to load at 5:45, Nancy came up the stairs and said that it was pouring rain. I took her warning to heart and unpacked my duffle bag to get out my rear fender. I was upset when I found out that it had just sprinkled lightly, but went ahead and installed the fender. This turned out to be fortunate thing. It ended up raining most of the morning, and the fender added significant spray reduction.

Rainy start at the motel. Several riders had relatives joining us today, and this was probably not what they wanted to see.



A wet ride. On a better day, we would have been able to enjoy bluff-top views of Lake Michigan, which we steamed across yesterday.



SAG 1, where some of these riders helped me sing Happy Birthday to my son Eric, who was getting ready to go to Kings Dominion theme park for his birthday.


The sun finally came out at about noon. I was mostly dry by the time I pulled into the Baymont Motel in Mount Pleasant at about 2:30. I even got a little sunburned.


As we wend our way through Michigan, into Ontario, and then the final 3 states of our ride, our longest day will be 87 miles. We are all getting a little worn around the edges, and will appreciate the shorter mileage. I really don't like the early starts. It is much nicer loading at 6:30 or so.

No comments: