Wednesday, July 26, 2006

How Do You Spell Flat?--Central Michigan

After yesterday’s rainy marathon ride, I was looking forward to a shorter, drier ride. I got pretty much what I expected. We woke to rain, and the radar showed a band of showers moving across the area, with another big blob behind, probably in Wisconsin. By the time we loaded, however, the rain had ended, and the roads were pretty good. The winds were from the southwest, which meant that anytime we headed south, we had headwinds, but any time we turned east, they were tailwind/crosswinds. Here in Michigan, they are on the grid system, so the roads are either north/south or east/west. I made good time on the headwind sections, and really good time when we headed east. There was only one town to go through, and although I wanted to look for a good bakery, it was too early in the morning to eat again. (I know some of you may be surprised, but I don’t like to ride with too much under my belt)

I stopped off at the post office in that town, Alma, and mailed a birthday package for Eric. It has been really difficult to mail packages because I don’t have access to my luggage throughout the day, and can’t carry too much on my bike, especially in the rain. I had decided to chance it today, and it paid off.

I got back on route, and was first to the SAG stop. I helped the staff set up the tent thingy they use to cover the snack table at the SAG, and helped myself to some bananas and granola bars.

I headed out again, anxious to finish in case the weather turned bad, and made quick work of the remaining 35 miles. I went to A&W for lunch with John, Daun and Bill. It was very nostalgic to get my root beer in the big glass mug, just like back in State College PA when I was a kid.

We had a relativelly late start. Here are some riders waiting to load and hit the road.



Here is Sara, whose blog many of you are following at http://sarabikes.blogspot.com/


The route was extremely flat, and this was the scenery throughout



Here, Kent goes for his favorite snack at the SAG stop.


Late Addition:

Dinner was at Tony's Rerstaurant. Here is Kent with his dessert


photo credit Bob Roberson

1 comment:

Jim said...

The record stand corrected. My keyboard adds multiple keystrokes quite often. I usually notice when they are words, but numbers don't attract my attention. They obviously did yours! I might try a 355 mile day, but I don't want to outrun the SAG support!