Friday, July 21, 2006

A Tale of Three Tunnels; or The Quest for Pie

The ride today was different than most days in that a large section was done on a bike trail, the Elroy-sparta trail. This was not paved, but crushed gravel or dirt. My bike did fine, but many needed a good cleaning when we were done. the route led out from La Crosse on regular streets, then we found ourselves at the trailhead. You need to buy a permit to use the trail.

I enjoyed the shady, tree-lined trail, but it was not hot and sunny like yesterday, but rather cloudy and cool (no complaint here)

Here are Lois and Annie riding along the trail.


I got this picture of Ilkka coming across a bridge.



The tunnels were very cool (either meaning). They still bore the coating of soot from when trains, rather than bicycles passed through them. The longest was about 2/3 of a mile, meaning you couldn't initially see the other end. We used flashlights to see, and walked our bikes through. (at least most of us)


Our route sheets had indicated multiple possibilities for pie procurement and eatage at the little towns along the trail. At Kendall, it was indicated that we should be able to find "Amish food". We did a complete crcuit of the town, and found only two taverns, both so smoke-filled that I never would have eaten any thing found within anyway. At a stop sign, we asked a local driver where we could find good home cookin'. He said "nowhere around here!' He sent us on to the next town. On our arrival, I checked in to the SAG, and asked if anyone had found good food yet. I was given incorrect (or unclear) directions that had me on the wrong road, I think. Anyway, we settled for a little cafe that had great cheseburgers, but no real pie. I had a slice of something they called apple pie, but it was more like a cardboard display of pie. The waitress was also in the wrong line of work. She was offended when I tried to order more food. "Can't you see I have all these customers!?"

When I checked in at the motelin Wisconsin Dells, Ilkka and Kent told me of he wonderful pie shop that I had either just missed, or been on the wrong road to find. It was what I had been looking for. I was tempted to ride the 40 miles back to have my real dessert. Oh Well!

No comments: