Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Into the Oven: A Double Triple

You know it is going to be tough day when the temperature is into 3 digits, and the mileage for the day is higher than the temp. Today, the temp in Pierre was 105 according to one bank thermometer. It was 117 miles from Wall to Pierre. The stage was set for the toughest day so far.

I knew it was going to be a really hard day when I went out into the “cool” dawn and found it to already be quite warm, and the sun was not yet up. Sunrise brought a prehistoric scene, with a full-sized brontosaurus replica lending a surreal start to the ride.

The heat only got worse. I found it uncomfortable by 8:30, and almost intolerable by 10. I didn’t feel like stopping for many photos, but I did manage to capture the exquisite pleasure of a shady SAG stop.

These horses looked entirely comfortable with the heat. I really lilked the little gray colt.

Here is "The Little Brown Church on the Prarie", a small Methodist church in the middle of nowhere.

I also saw this little snake on the shoulder of the road. I think it was dead, but decided not to mess with it.


The ABBike staff did a fantastic job of SAG today, both with choosing great locations in the midst of nothingness, and also keeping close tabs on all the riders. It seems there was always a SAG vehicle coming or going, with the constant questions “How are you feeling? How much water do you have? Do you need anything?

At about 25 miles from Pierre, pronounced “peer”, I was passed by the one SAG van, and Christine asked my status. I told her I had over one gallon of water on board. I used every drop of that making it to the motel. I had one water bottle of Gatorade, two bottles of Propel fitness water, one water bottle of ice water for cooling, and my hydration pack with 1.4 liters of water as a reserve. I kept expecting each uphill to be the last, based on the route profile. As I crested the top, I would inevitably see another rise beyond, with nothing but sun-toasted wheat fields in view.

What continues to surprise me is the total lack of “outskirts” of any of these western towns. I got to within an indicated 3 miles of the motel before I saw any sign that there was a town nearby.

The last stretch was allegedly downhill, but I NEVER was able to coast for the last 40 miles. In effect, it was the longest hill of the ride.

I eased across the bridge over the Missouri River, and into the motel parking lot at 2:30 Mountain time, or 3:30 Central time. We are now just an hour different from home in Richmnd.

Route Rap took place at 6:15, and we had dinner at China Buffet next door. I am really tired now, but I can’t feel sorry for myself, Stu just got in at about 8:30. He is doing fine with the heat, just taking his time, and encouraging some of the other riders. Hats off to all the riders, whether they finished on their own, or Sagged in. There is no shame in making the decision to flag down the van, especially when it may make it possible to ride better the next day.

Tomorrow’s route is “only” 83 miles, although the heat should be pretty bad. I need some sleep.

No comments: