Sunday, July 02, 2006

Day 14 Blackfoot to Idaho Falls

Today was both a good and bad day. At 34 miles (planned) it was to be our shortest day of the tour. We also got to sleep in late (6:30) and eat a more leisurely breakfast. Too bad the menu was limited to cold cereal and english muffins.

Once on the road, we were in more of a parade mode, with speed not a necessity. We got lost about twice, but quickly found our way back on course. The highlight for me was passing a truck stop and noticing the sign "Frontier Pies". I quickly made a U-turn and waited at the turnoff until several others including Stu and Ilkka noticed me and decided to join me for PIE. Most of us had a most delicious rhubarb pie, heated to perfection and served with vanilla ice cream. Delish!

After our pie break, we finished our short ride, only to find that one of our riders had gone down on an angled railroad crossing and had gone to the hospital to be checked out. As it turned out, she was uninjured, but her helmet had done its job.

The mishap dampened our enthusiasm for awhile until she returned mostly unscathed.

My day went downhill when I found out that my camera was acting up again and had lost all my pictures for today, including one really great one of some pelicans on a stump in the Snake River. The camera will take pictures, but once it turns off for any reason, the pictures go away. I don't think I can keep it running, and have no way to get the pictures out to the computer. I also felt the need to have a camera for snapshots, even if the continuous photo log of the route doesn't work out. That decided, I went out to Wal-Mart and bought another camera. I have no deciced whether to continue the photo log, but might try manual triggering with the camera mounted tommorow. I did manage to get these pix of Idaho Falls before my other camera died.






Idaho Falls is the last town in Idaho for us, and we head up into the Rockies tomorrow. You can see some of the mountains we will have to climb in the wider angle picture. Our route will take us over two ridges and into Wyoming. I am really looking forward to getting some elevation tomorrow. I am tired of the flat terrain.



No comments: