Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Last Hot Day? Please?

On the burner again. That was the prediction for today. We seem to have brought with us the heat wave we started out in South Dakota. Record heat seems to be the norm for this trip. I usually do fine with the heat, I just can't enjoy riding in it at all.

The sunrise looked a lot like yesterday's. Clear and beautiful in a sinister sort of way.


I joined a group of riders negotiating a maze of turns through road construction, and got this picture of Eberhard and Anja as they followed me. It took 6 shots to get the one I wanted. The rest were of the road.


My sister Judy wants me to take a series of shots showing my facial expressions for various situations, including pie proximity. I am working on this, and will publish it on a later posting.
Most of the day we were close to the Erie Canal. I was unaware that it is still in operation, and not just a historical relic. Here are a couple pictures of the canal.




Later I passed this building. I never would have guessed that it was a barn without the conspicuous label. Well Done!


Toward the end of the ride, I stopped at a roadside stand run by a young Mennonite girl. I bought some delicious peaches, and wanted to buy a rhubarb pie. Not being able to carry it, I waited in vain for someone else to come down the road and help me eat it. (The girl declined to share in eating it) While waiting, I told her that I was also Mennonite. She said I didn't look like it in the biker outfit. I asked if she had heard of Floyd Landis. She had, but didn't know much about him.

I reluctantly left the rhubarb pie behind, in hopes of finding a restaurant with some later. I caught up to Sara, Chuck, and Peg on the final leg into Liverpool, just south of Syracuse. We found a nice, restaurant, had lunch, and they did have pie. I had raspberry. It was quite good, and long overdue. When we left to ride the remaining two miles to the motel, we noticed that a large thunderstorm was approaching. We made haste, and beat it to the motel. Many others were caught out in it, but made it to shelter OK. It should be cooler tomorrow. I'm glad. I would like to ride with temps in the 80's again.



No comments: