Thursday, June 29, 2006

Day 11 Mountain Home to Twin Falls

Last night I was finally able to get my blog up to date, and I had time to relax in the pool. I also had to waste some time because the A/C in our room was kaput, and the maintenance guy came by to replace the unit, which was right next to my bed.




This morning we woke to threatening skies. We could see rain falling from dark clouds fairly close by.



We hurried to load the truck and eat breakfast before the skies would open. Many of us took along some rain gear in case it turned out to be an all-day rain. In actuality, it merely provided the most beautiful sunrise, and we enjoyed the show with only a few drops on the road. Most of the rain evaporated before it hit the ground. You can see this "virga" in the pictures



I enjoyed the first part of the ride when I was passed by the 2/3 of a triple bike, with Lil and her son cranking out a serious rhythm. I latched on and we pulled the first leg rarely seeing the south side of 25 mph. I had an overall average of almost 20 mph up to the first sag.

I spent the next leg riding alone, and stopped for a snack at a small store. This gentleman, Ed and his two cute grandchildren stopped and asked all kinds of questions about the ride. They were quite interested in the ride, and especially the bike with all the gadgets. There is never a shortage of conversation with the locals. I wish all the places I ride could show this kind of hospitality and support.




Late in the morning I passed through a valley where many fossils are found. In the distant past, a large lava flow blocked the river and made a shallow lake where many zebra-like mammals came to get water. Many of them died in the vicinity and their bones were preserved in the mud, which hardened to rock over time.



I made it to Twin Falls by about 1:30, and even had time to stop at the scenic overlooks by the Snake River Canyon. This is where Evel Knievel attempted his jump of the canyon in a rocket "motorcycle" a number of years ago. I will try to get some more pictures to add to this post.

Tomorrow is a short day of only 38 miles. I can probably do it in my sleep!

1 comment:

Judy said...

Ed and his two cute grandchildren are standing in front of a sign that says "STINKER". Is that what they call gas stations in Twin Falls?

Pagalag